Sunday, May 19, 2013

Barcelona! The anti-Spain, Spain!

This past weekend I went to Barcelona with Michael, Ruth, Kelsey and Rachel!

If you don't know much about Spain, Catalonia (the autonomous community Barcelona is located in) is very anti-Spain. They don't like being associated with Spain in general, have outlawed bull fights, don't like speaking Spanish (they prefer Catalan) and have talked about separating from Spain all together and becoming an independent country. So if you ever want a real, authentic Spanish vacation I definitely would recommend Toledo, Sevilla, Granada, or Madrid over Barcelona. I am pretty sure I heard more French than any other language this weekend.

Over the weekend we saw plenty of Gaudi architecture, markets, shopping and beautiful gardens. My favorite part was either the market off of Las Rambas or the gorgeous gardens near the Olympic park. It was a fun weekend but also really draining.

No comments:

Post a Comment