Sunday, March 10, 2013

Parent's weekend!

Mom and dad made the trek all the way to southern Spain to visit me this past weekend!

They got here Thursday evening and I brought them out for tapas on their first real Spanish experience. The next day we drove to the coastal town of Motril. We ate a great restaurant right on the beach and then drove over to Salobreña (which is just one big hill of tiny, winding streets). The views were beautiful and we went to the old Arabic fort that is on top of the city.

The next day we drove to Málaga and after a very stressful drive into town we found beautiful city center. We found a Roman theater, cute churches and restaurants, and great shopping. We went to the Picasso Museum there (Picasso is from Málaga) and it was really great. It was rather small but had really quality paintings and you didn't feel overwhelmed when you were done. After some shopping we decided to drive back to Motril for the night.

The next morning we explored the beaches on the coast some more before heading back to Granada. I took Mom for some more shopping in the Arabic shops around the cathedral and walked around the Albaicin a bit and then later that night we went to a flamenco show! It was very intense and passionate and so so good. Everyone really enjoyed it!

The next day we headed up to the Alhambra. We toured the Generalife and Alcazaba. It was really nice to take our time going through the gardens because when I first went with my program we were kind of rushed. This was my mom's favorite part of the trip, there were lots of flowers for her to gush over! After the Alhambra we went back to my place for lunch. It was a little surreal to have lunch with my parents and Adela but pretty cool too. Everyone has different language abilities which made everything even more interesting (Adela: Spanish, tiny bit of English, Me: English & Spanish, Dad: English & Spanish, Mom: English, tiny bit of Spanish). Even though my mom and Adela don't speak the same language they got along great and bonded and were cute.

That night I took the parents out for chocolate con churros! We went to the cafe that Adela first took me on my first night and I really do think that they are the best in town. Erika, Ruth and Katie also joined us which was nice for them to meet my friends here. The next morning I actually went to class and met them during my break for coffee. We said our goodbyes for the next few months but it was easier saying goodbye than it was the first time because this time we all know I'm doing great here in Spain! 

















No comments:

Post a Comment